Mourinho

Mourinho

Chelsea Transfers/Injury News: Mourinho Rules Coentrao & Martinez Moves, Luiz, Eto’o Injured


José Mourinho has ruled out moves for Porto striker Jackson Martinez and Real Madrid defender Fabio Coentrao in January.

The Colombia international’s agent was reported to have travelled to London to hold talks with the Blues manager and the club’s directors earlier this week.

However, Mourinho, whose side face Southampton at Stamford Bridge on Saturday, rubbished the speculation and confirmed that he won’t sign any strikers in the January transfer window.

“The Porto striker? It’s not true what I read a couple of days ago that the agent was in London and meeting with me and Chelsea directors,” said Mourinho.

“It’s not true at all. In the January market we’re not going to buy any strikers. We’ll be going through until the end of the season with Fernando Torres, Demba Ba and Samuel Eto’o.”

The former Madrid manager has also been linked with a swoop for out-of-favour Los Blancos right-back Coentrao, who he brought to the Spanish capital from Benfica in 2011.

However, Mourinho, whose side are currently third in the Premier League table, insisted he has worked with “enough” Portuguese players throughout his two spells at Stamford Bridge.

He added: “I don’t want Portuguese guys. I always have them but I think in the moment is enough. I don’t have one now – Henrique Hilario is the remaining one. We don’t need [another].”

Also the Chelsea Boss confirmed that Samuel Eto’o and David Luiz will miss Chelsea’s clash against Southampton at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

The Brazil defender missed the west London’s 1-0 defeat by Basel in the Champions League on Tuesday night due to a knee injury.

Chelsea boss Mourinho revealed Luiz did train with the rest of the Blues squad at their Cobham training ground on Friday but won’t be ready for the Saints clash.

“David trained today with the team for the first time – he doesn’t look to be ready for the weekend,” Mourinho told a pre-match media conference.

The 50-year-old Blues manager was dealt a blow in Switzerland on Wednesday night as he was forced to withdraw Eto’o in the first half of the 1-0 loss.

And Mourinho confirmed Eto’o, who joined from Anzhi in the summer, has a grade-one muscular injury and is set to be sidelined for up to 10-15 days.

He said: “Samuel Eto’o is out. The information that we have is that it’s a grade one muscular injury which we think is two weeks – it won’t be a month – 10 -15 days.”

Click here to subscribe to The Paradigm Newsletter

Comments

comments

Share your thoughts

%d bloggers like this: