Ribadu Report: Presidency denies cover-up, labels media reports as ‘suspicious’

Ribadu Report: Presidency denies cover-up, labels media reports as ‘suspicious’


By Punch

The Presidency, on Monday, denied reports that the leakage of the report of the Mallam Nuhu Ribadu-led Petroleum Revenue Special Task Force compelled it to direct that the report should be submitted on Friday.

It also refuted the claim that the draft of the report was submitted a month ago, saying there was no attempt at cover-up.

The task force, which probed oil and gas transactions between 2002 and 2012, was said to have uncovered widespread corruption and abuse of processes in the sector.

The report which uncovered high level corruption in the management of the oil sector was last week published by an international news agency, Reuters.

The 146-page confidential report, according to the international news agency, stated that Ministers of Petroleum Resources between 2008 and 2011 handed out seven discretionary oil licences. It said out of the deal, a total of $183m (N28.73bn) in signature bonuses paid by oil companies to the federation was missing

Three of the oil licences were said to have been awarded during the tenure of the current minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, who took up her position in 2010.

However, Alison-Madueke described it as a “draft” and not the final report.

The Presidency described the published document as suspicious, adding the normal procedure was for the committee to submit its report to the authority that constituted it.

It said Jonathan had yet to get the report formally, adding that those who leaked it planned to embarrass the Federal Government.

The situation led to speculations that the Presidency might be planning to cover up the report.

In a statement on Monday, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, said the President was set to receive the report on Friday.

But Abati who featured in a radio breakfast programme, Fact File, on RayPower 100.5FM, on Monday denied the insinuation of a cover-up and said that those behind the report were playing politics with the issue.

“It is very obvious that people are trying to politicise such a thing that does not require politics. What the government is trying to do is to raise the level of integrity and accountability in a particular sector. Our position is that people should focus on that objective and not play politics with it,” he said.

Abati accused those alleging a cover-up of ignorance.

He  said, “There is no cover-up. I can tell you that categorically. You will recall that when this particular committee was set up in February, there were two other committees that were also set up to look at the different aspects of the petroleum sector.

Click here to subscribe to The Paradigm Newsletter

Comments

comments

Share your thoughts


By Punch

The Presidency, on Monday, denied reports that the leakage of the report of the Mallam Nuhu Ribadu-led Petroleum Revenue Special Task Force compelled it to direct that the report should be submitted on Friday.

It also refuted the claim that the draft of the report was submitted a month ago, saying there was no attempt at cover-up.

The task force, which probed oil and gas transactions between 2002 and 2012, was said to have uncovered widespread corruption and abuse of processes in the sector.

The report which uncovered high level corruption in the management of the oil sector was last week published by an international news agency, Reuters.

The 146-page confidential report, according to the international news agency, stated that Ministers of Petroleum Resources between 2008 and 2011 handed out seven discretionary oil licences. It said out of the deal, a total of $183m (N28.73bn) in signature bonuses paid by oil companies to the federation was missing

Three of the oil licences were said to have been awarded during the tenure of the current minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, who took up her position in 2010.

However, Alison-Madueke described it as a “draft” and not the final report.

The Presidency described the published document as suspicious, adding the normal procedure was for the committee to submit its report to the authority that constituted it.

It said Jonathan had yet to get the report formally, adding that those who leaked it planned to embarrass the Federal Government.

The situation led to speculations that the Presidency might be planning to cover up the report.

In a statement on Monday, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, said the President was set to receive the report on Friday.

But Abati who featured in a radio breakfast programme, Fact File, on RayPower 100.5FM, on Monday denied the insinuation of a cover-up and said that those behind the report were playing politics with the issue.

“It is very obvious that people are trying to politicise such a thing that does not require politics. What the government is trying to do is to raise the level of integrity and accountability in a particular sector. Our position is that people should focus on that objective and not play politics with it,” he said.

Abati accused those alleging a cover-up of ignorance.

He  said, “There is no cover-up. I can tell you that categorically. You will recall that when this particular committee was set up in February, there were two other committees that were also set up to look at the different aspects of the petroleum sector.

Click here to subscribe to The Paradigm Newsletter

Comments

comments

Share your thoughts

%d bloggers like this: